Alice in Chains is an American rock band formed in Seattle, Washington, in 1987 by guitarist and songwriter Jerry Cantrell and original lead vocalist Layne Staley. The initial lineup was rounded out by drummer Sean Kinney and bassist Mike Starr, who was replaced in 1993 by Mike Inez.
Although widely associated with grunge music, the band's sound incorporates heavy metal and acoustic elements. Since its formation, Alice in Chains has released five studio albums, three EPs, two live albums, four compilations, and two DVDs. The band is known for its distinctive vocal style, which often included the vocal harmonized vocals of Staley and Cantrell.
Alice in Chains rose to international fame as part of the grunge movement of the early 1990s, along with other Seattle bands such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden. The band was one of the most successful music acts of the 1990s, selling over 20 million albums worldwide, and over 14 million in the US alone. In 1992, the band released their album Dirt, which was critically acclaimed and has been certified quadruple platinum. The band also achieved two No. 1 Billboard 200 releases, 14 top ten songs on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, and nine Grammy Award nominations.
Although never officially disbanding, Alice in Chains was plagued by extended inactivity from 1996 onwards due to Staley's substance abuse, which resulted in his death in 2002. The band reunited in 2005 with new lead vocalist William DuVall and released their fourth studio album, Black Gives Way to Blue, in 2009. The album was a success, receiving gold certification by the RIAA in 2010. Alice in Chains released their fifth studio album, The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here, on May 28, 2013, and are currently on tour for this album.
Label(s)[edit | edit source]
Genre(s)[edit | edit source]
RIYL[edit | edit source]
Band Members[edit | edit source]
- Layne Staley - vocals (died April 5. 2002)
- Jerry Cantrell - lead guitar, vocals
- Sean Kinney - drums
- Mike Starr - bass (left the band in 1993)
- Mike Inez - bass (joined the band in 1993)
- William DuVall - rhythm guitar, vocals (joined the band in 2005)
Includes Members of[edit | edit source]
Band Biography[edit | edit source]
Discography[edit | edit source]
Albums[edit | edit source]
- Facelift (1990)
- Dirt (1992)
- Alice in Chains (1995)
- Black Gives Way To Blue (2009)
- The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here (2013)
- Rainier Fog (2018)
EPs[edit | edit source]
Singles[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ALICE IN CHAINS Interviewed By VOICE OF AMERICA. Blabbermouth.net (May 28, 2010). Archived from the original on May 30, 2010. Retrieved on June 15, 2010.
- Recording Industry Association of America. RIAA. Retrieved on July 14, 2011.
- Alice in Chains Release New Album, The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here, and Video Teaser, Revolver Magazine, May 28, 2013.
- Alice in Chains, Current Tour Schedule.