Daft Punk was a French house music duo consisting of Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo (born February 8, 1974) and Thomas Bangalter (born January 3, 1975). Originally conceived as a punk group as Darlin', the British music magazine dubbed their style "a daft punky thrash," which would become the name of their house project.
Daft Punk debuted with Homework in 1997, which was a major success. The album grew to become very influential with its unique mix of house, funk, techno and acid. The duo's sophomore release Discovery was a slow success, shifting Daft Punk from Chicago house to dance pop with modern disco influences. While the change has received mixed thoughts among listeners, Discovery has become another favorite among electronic music fans. The album's best known track is the hit single "One More Time" featuring Romanthony and has spawned the animated movie Interstella 5555 directed by anime legend Leiji Matsumoto. The following remix album Daft Club was not a major success and received many negative reviews. Human After All, Daft Punk's third studio album followed, and also received mixed reviews.
At the 2009 San Diego Comic-Con, it was announced that the duo composed 24 tracks for the film Tron: Legacy. Daft Punk's score was arranged and orchestrated by Joseph Trapanese. Their fourth studio album, Random Access Memories followed, to largely positive reviews.
The duo is also known for dressing as robots.
On February 22, 2021, they announced their split.
- Homework (1997) #150 US, #8 UK
- Discovery (2001) #44 US, #2 UK
- Alive 1997 (2001)
- Daft Club (remix LP) (2003)
- Human After All (2005) #98 US, #10 UK, #36 AUS
- Musique Vol. 1 1993-2005 (2006) #34 UK
- Random Access Memories (2013)
- The New Wave
- Da Funk
- Indo Silver Club
- Around The World
- Revolution 909
- One More Time
- Digital Love
- Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
- Face To Face
- Something About Us
- Robot Rock
- Human After All
- The Prime Time Of Your Life
- Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (Alive 2007
- Get Lucky (feat. Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers)
- Lose Yourself To Dance (feat. Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers
- Doin’ It Right (feat. Panda Bear)
- Instant Crush (feat. Julian Casablancas)
- Give Life Back To Music