Modern Life Is War is an American hardcore punk band formed in Marshalltown, Iowa in 2002. During Modern Life Is War's six-year original run, the band released three full-length albums and one self-titled 7" EP. Despite a growing profile on the underground hardcore circuit, and garnering critical acclaim from numerous musical outlets, Modern Life Is War announced its dissolution in early 2008; however, the band reunited in 2012.
Modern Life Is War's self-titled 7-inch E.P. was released through Lifeline Records in early 2002. Its two subsequent studio albums, 2003's My Love. My Way. and 2005's Witness are now available through the Deathwish Inc. record label, which is owned and operated by Converge singer Jacob Bannon.
In mid-2005, after the release of Witness, guitarist Matt Hoffman and bassist Chris Honeck left the band. They were replaced by Sjarm 13 and Tim Churchman, respectively. On February 9, 2007, M.L.I.W. announced that it had inked a record deal with Equal Vision Records. The band's third full-length album, Midnight in America, was released on August 21, 2007 to positive reviews.
On February 19, 2008, the band announced on its Myspace page that it would be breaking up, and that it was planning one final American tour, starting March 29 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and reconvening on April 26 in the band's hometown of Marshalltown. In a separate interview conducted several weeks before the tour, the band members discussed their hopes and achievements in playing together for the last six years:
"I hope that we have made some people feel less alone. I hope we have motivated people to think for themselves; to be themselves and to take action. Punk rock changed our lives, and I hope that we as a band contributed something to keep the whole thing going. We are leaving soon, but the future is unwritten..."
In September 2012, the original lineup reunited and wrote an album in John Eich's basement. Modern Life Is War formally announced its reunion in April 2013 and the intent to record and release the new album through Deathwish by September 2013. The band didn't expect to heavily tour during the reunion; as of April 2013, Modern Life Is War was only booked to headline This Is Hardcore Festival and a record release show. Retrospectively, Modern Life Is War wished they hadn't broken up, but instead scaled back their efforts so they could do it, "without so much stress and life crushing commitment." The band released its fourth studio album Fever Hunting on September 9, 2013 through Deathwish, which was produced by Kurt Ballou of Converge. Modern Life Is War embarked on a six-date tour in celebration of the new album in October 2013.
To commemorate its 10th anniversary, Modern Life is War reissued a remastered version of their 2005 album Witness with updated packaging and liner notes on June 2, 2015, followed by a nine-date North American tour.
- My Love. My Way. (2003)
- Witness (2005)
- Midnight in America (2007)
- Fever Hunting (2013)
- Modern Life Is War (2002)
- Tribulation Work Songs vol 1 (2018)
- Tribulation Work Songs vol 2 (2018)
- "Stagger Lee" (2007)
- "Fuck the Sex Pistols" (2008)
- "Feels Like End Times" (2018) 
- Kraus, Brian (22 June 2014). 16 Modern Precursors Of Melodic Hardcore. Retrieved on April 27, 2015. “We're not talking about the obvious keystones... but the entities who helped engineer manifestations of power and passion who fueled the [melodic hardcore] scene roughly between the years of 2005-2009.”
- Wisniewski, Kira (April 1, 2013). Modern Life Is War returns. Punknews.org. Retrieved on April 2, 2013.
- Adams, Gregory (April 1, 2013). Modern Life Is War Reunites for This Is Hardcore Fest, Reveal Plans for New LP. Exclaim!. Retrieved on April 2, 2013.
- Bourque, Zach (November 25, 2013). Modern Life Is War: They Lost The Battle But Won The War. LA Weekly. Voice Media Group. Retrieved on December 5, 2013.
- Adams, Gregory (July 15, 2013). Modern Life Is War Detail 'Fever Hunting'. Exclaim!. Retrieved on July 16, 2013.
- Paul, Aubin (July 29, 2013). Tours: Modern Life is War (Record Release). Punknews.org. Retrieved on December 5, 2013.
- Sharp, Tyler (April 1, 2015). Modern Life Is War announce 'Witness' 10-year anniversary reissue. Alternative Press. Retrieved on April 1, 2015.
- Modern Life Is War "Feels Like End Times" (Official Video). YouTube. Retrieved on March 30, 2020.
- Modern Life Is War on Punknews.org
- Jeffrey Eaton's personal blog
- Interview With Jeffrey Eaton on Late Night Wallflower
- Interview with Jeffrey Eaton few days before MLIW's last tour, on Dreamworld Realism blog
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. The original content was at Modern Life Is War. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.(view authors).|