Summertime is an aria from the opera Porgy and Bess (1935). The song grew from the end of the 1930s into a classic among both jazz-, blues- pop fansas. Summertimewas written by George Gershwin (music) and DuBose Heyward (text). The text is partially derived from the traditional All my trials.
Ira Gershwin was the main lyricist for Porgy and Bess, but he has not contributed to Summertime , although its name from business considerations by ASCAP stated.DuBose Heyward was the author of the novel Porgy, on which the opera is based. Only when the collaboration with Heyward, George Gershwin his brother Ira switched failure in as librettist.
As the opera begins as Clara Summertime Lullaby for her baby sings. The melody returns back again several times afterwards.
Summertime and the living is easy Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high Your Daddy's rich and your Mama's good lookin' So hush little baby now, don't you cry.Summertime (Gershwin/Heyward)
The original is an opera aria, sung by a (mezzo-) soprano accompanied by a symphonic Orchestra and a choir. Today the Summertime Connection performances in such different styles like ska, South American (all rhythms), rock, housemixes in all shapes, all styles of jazz of dixieland to bop and so-called improvised music.
Every conceivable instrument has already been used (we make here mention the first recording ever on a tool): from garden hose (Noguru Hata on Dutch tv), cow horn (Bengt Jonsson) and musical saw (Matthew Beckman) to traditional Korean flute (Lee Sang Gang), theremin (Lydia Kavina), carillon (Piet van den Broek), bamboo saxophone (Arthur Mary on 4 June 2007 in Budapest) and handbells (Rhapsody).
On 23 July 2007, Stone Jazz (a Korean formation) a performance of Summertime given where the haegm (Korean violin); the piri (Korean oboe) and the gayagm (Korean harp) are combined with piano, bass and drum.
In 2007, the Chinese 12 Girls Band at a concert in Shanghai with guest singer Lila Downs also Summertime on the pipaamong more., the guzheng, erhu, the the yang qin and the dizi used.
Also mention can stay the execution in 2007 on the hydraulophone (water pipe organ flute) by the inventor of this instrument, Steve Mann.
There are about 25 six-string electric cello 's there is in this world and in the hands of Jennifer Adams, who along with her husband the duo Montana Skies is. She plays her instrument standing and has now recorded a version of Summertime in 2006.
The dulzaina is a traditional Castilian instrument, which as a precursor of the oboe can be considered. In January 2008, Samuel Brogeras Summertime on this instrument.
For the first time In 1935 made it public knowledge with Summertime. In that year, Porgy and Bess premiered and also became the first plate version of Summertime recorded by Helen Jepson with choir and Orchestra conducted by Alexander Smallens. The very oldest recording by Abbie Mitchell, on piano accompanied by Gershwin himself, is a rehearsal recording from July 1935 that decades later came and above water until 1991 on cd was released. Abbie Mitchell played the role of Clara in the very first performances of Porgy and Bess. The success of the opera came only slowly. It took until the 1950s for Porgy and Bess was regarded as a classic. Summertime was by now, by the cover versions by Billie Holiday, among others, Caspar Reardon, Maxine Sullivan, Sidney Bechet and Jerry Kruger has become a jazz standard. Sam Cookes version from 1957 is probably the first version that can be classified as pop . In later years made under more Billy Stewart and Janis Joplin sure Summertime except as a jazz version of "also is considered. Also the Dutch bandBrainbox in 1969 has a hit with a rock arrangement of this song.
Sandra Reemer Sleep soft on in 1963 took-probably the first English version of Gershwins classic.
- Sidney Bechet, 1939
- Charlie Parker, Charlie Parker with Strings, 1949
- Don Byas, Laura, 1952
- Chet Baker, 1955
- Bill Evans, How my heart sings!, 1962
- Booker t. & the M.G. 's, And Now!, 1966
- Count Basie Good time blues, 1970; Lullaby Of Birdland, 1997
- Stéphane Grappelli, Stéphane Grappelli & friends in Paris, 1996
- George Benson In Concert-Carnegie Hall, 1975
- Ray Charles
- John Coltrane, My Favorite Things, 1961
- Yannis Loussikoulou, "jazz for delbo's bac", 2008, duo with Antoine Delbos (drums)
- Miles Davis Porgy and Bess, 1958, arrangement by Gil Evans
- Herbie Hancock Gershwin's World, 1998
- Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong 1957 Porgy and Bess,
- Stan Getz Getz au go-go, 1964
- Molly Johnson, Another Day, 2003
- Joe Henderson
- Billie Holiday Lady Day: The Complete Billie Holiday On Columbia1933-1944,
- Klazz Brothers & Cuba Percussion Jazz Meets Cuba, 2003
- Biréli Lagrène and André Ceccarelli Jazz in Marciac
- Aaron Neville, 2003
- Renee Olstead, Renee Olstead, 2004
- Billy Stewart, Billy Stewart Teaches Old Standards New Tricks, 1966
- Al Jarreau
- Keith Jarrett
- Bessie Smith
- Sarah Vaughan, Sarah Vaughan Sings Gershwin, 1998
- Caetano Veloso, A Foreign Sound, 2004
- Paolo Fresu, child or Porgy & Bess, 2002
- Art Pepper, Modern Art, 1956; The Art Of Pepper-The Complete Omega Sessions Master Takes, 1957
- Oscar Peterson
- Svengali, Gil Evans, 1973
- Albert Ayler, My name is Alber Ayler, 1963
- Duke Ellington, Piano in the Foreground, 1961
- Pat Metheny and Jim Hall, Jim Hall & Pat Metheny, 1999
- Tal Farlow, The Return Of Tal Farlow, 1969
Summertime is originally written in English, but it has since been performed in many languages. The Summertime Connection knows and has performances in (at any language any artist):
-  Brazilian - Bárbara Ohana
-  Bulgarian - Slavi Trifonov
-  Catalan - The Mimisikous Band
-  German - Peter Kraus
- ----- Esperanto - Nicolin
-  Estonian - Optimistid
-  Finnish - Topi Sorsakoski
-  French - Joe Dassin
-  Fries - The Cabinet
-  Greek - Kanellopoulos
-  Hebrew - Shani Ezra-incomplete
- ----- Hessisch - Rhoihessisch
- ----- Hohenloher - Annâweech
-  Tamás Sebesi Hong Owners -
-  Italian - I Dalton
-  Japanese - The Dixie Saints
- ----- Yiddish - Lee Colbert
-  Yugoslav - Fung
-  Khmer - Ros Sereysothea
-  Latvian - Skamp
- ----- Lithuanian - Titek Puspa
-  Maori - Wirimako Black
-  Dutch - Wilfred Clover
- ----- Feliciana Lalonga Occitan -
-  Austrian - Ernst Molden
-  Papiamento - Tropical Taste
-  Polish - Petra Janù
-  Portuguese - Nara Leão
-  Russian - Oleg Skripka
- ----- Saarpfälzisch - Musikduo Udo & Marion
-  Serbian - Basa
-  Slovenian - Ursula Ramoveš
-  Slovak - Lucia Lužinská
-  Spanish - Cubismo
-  Czech - Hana Hegerová
- ----- Tubegoshian - Miss Posey & Wessy
- ----- Welsh - Sarah Glyn-Jones
- ----- Yoruba - Angélique Kidjo
- ----- Zulu - Amanda Strydom.
Quartet cabaret-style Okazjonalny from Poland has a trilingual version included with the stereotypes of the three languages mentioned.
There is even a text in English as ' Invitation to communion and/or Agnus Dei ' by David Lee with the title Bread is Broken, but this is not never carried out.
|Number (s) with markings
in the Radio 2 Top 2000
|' 99||' 00||' 01||' 02||' 03||' 04||' 05||' 06||' 07||' 08||' 09||' 10||' 11||' 12||' 13|
|Summertime (Billie Holiday)||562||-||1012||789||547||776||859||1151||812||827||1293||1118||1194||1800||1837|
|Summertime (Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong)||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||978||900||1660||1311||1152||1139||1146||1012|
|Summertime (Billy Stewart)||-||1527||1952||1947||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|